Database Administrator Intern
This unique opportunity is open to juniors, seniors, and graduate students pursuing a career in Computer Science or Management Information Systems (MIS). This internship opportunity will provide the applicant entry-level experience with progressive responsibility and experience. The work will be hands-on support of the various missions at the EROS (Earth Resources Observation and Science) Center (http://eros.usgs.gov/), located near Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The Database Administrator intern(s) will be assigned a mentor. The interns will telecommute from campus with travel to the EROS Center as their schedule permits and as the project requires. It is expected that the selected interns will work on site at EROS during school breaks, and/or during the summer months. This position holds potential for full-time employment upon graduation, pending project funding.
Education: Working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems (MIS) or a related discipline and graduating in 2019 or 2020.
Experience: 0-2 year’s related experience is desired.
- Perform work under the direct supervision of project management as well as senior and principle database administrators
- Perform database administration, installation, maintenance, and proper licensing of systems, including installation of database software, patches, and upgrades
- Perform database backup and recovery duties, establish standards and schedules for database backups, develop and test recovery procedures for each database, and ensure backup schedules meet the recovery requirements
- Install, upgrade, and configure Oracle/PostgreSQL, MySQL and Cassandra and related tools
- Monitor database and hardware activity, provide and implement server and SQL tuning recommendations to meet service level goals.
- Maintain the integrity of Project databases and ensure that the security requirements for the database servers are met
- Write and debug shell scripts and database programs that enhance the utility of systems and provide an effective user interface to other systems
- Provide and maintain current documentation of databases, database configurations, administrative tools, and procedures for implementation/adaptation of products and services.
- Provide database expertise to software developers and participate in peer reviews of database code and design
- Maintain a current awareness of database industry trends and uses to enhance support provided to the Project staff
- Perform research and development in anticipation of technological database system innovations
- Perform other work as assigned to ensure the success of the team
Special Skills / Requirements:
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Basic knowledge of systems engineering
- Critical thinking
- Analytical performance analysis
- Learn new technologies and tools rapidly
- Effective ability to organize and prioritize tasks
- Proficient in using MS Office Suite (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Project)
- Experience in one or more databases such as Oracle and / or PostgreSQL
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency check and background investigation after hire to obtain a badge for facility access and user accounts.
This position will be posted to the career opportunities listing on the SGT website (http://www.sgt-inc.com/careers).
This position may be filled by a SGT teammate on the TSSC Contract. Please apply on line.
SGT is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/m/f/disabled/veteran.