General Maintenance- IL- Campus Facilities- 2nd Shift
Performs skilled work in one or more trades areas and semi-skilled work in a variety of other trades areas. Maintains and cleans campus grounds, buildings, equipment, and vehicles by performing the following duties. The hours of the position will be Tuesday - Saturday from 3 pm to 11:30 pm. Overtime is mandatory during Winter and Summer as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate power and hand tools associated with maintenance and landscaping
- Operate pick-up trucks, flatbed trucks, and dump trucks for hauling purposes and for trash and debris removal
- Operate various snow removal equipment
- Maintains and repairs small tools, equipment, and vehicles.
- General maintenance and remodeling of buildings and facilities to include:
- interior and exterior carpentry and painting work
- repair floors, carpets, and walls
- Performs troubleshooting and adjustments of door, cabinet, closet and desk locks and repairs or replaces worn parts as necessary.
- Repairs and maintains interior and exterior doors and door closing mechanisms
- Maintains the grounds, pathways and roadways to include:
- mowing lawns, trimming edges around walks, flower beds and walls
- plant, water and prune trees and shrubs
- remove leaves and litter
- clear snow from designated areas such as sidewalks, entryways and roofs as required
- spread salt to prevent ice buildup
- repair fences, gates, walls and walks
- clean debris from sewer openings
- maintain parking lots and other surfaces to include minor asphalt repairs
- Install and remove outdoor signs, parking and traffic control barriers and overhead banners as required
- Move furniture, filing cabinets or other requested work moves
- Configure movable walls per schedule
- Set up and break down layouts for events
- Clean work area, tools and equipment as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Must be able to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner and have regular, predictable, in-person attendance. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED); or 1 to 3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have a valid driver's license.
Outlook and internet
Basic skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Intermediate skills: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Intermediate skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or schedule form. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk and hear. Occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel and crouch; climb or balance and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions, moving mechanical parts, and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in this environment is usually moderately loud.
Midwestern University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not discriminate against an employee or applicant based upon race; color; religion; creed; national origin or ancestry; ethnicity; sex (including pregnancy); gender (including gender expressions, gender identity; and sexual orientation); marital status; age; disability; citizenship; past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services; genetic information; or any other protected class, in accord with all federal, state and local laws, including 41 C.F.R. 60-1.4(a), 250.5(a), 300.5(a) and 741.5(a). Midwestern University complies with the Smoke-Free Arizona Act (A.R.S. 36-601.01) and the Smoke Free Illinois Act (410 ILCS 82/). Midwestern University complies with the Illinois Equal Pay Act of 2003 and Arizona Equal Pay Acts.