Environmental Services Worker - Extra Help
At the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our police officers, firefighters and building inspectors keep our citizens safe. Our Public Works staff keeps our City clean and helps maintain, build and improve our City’s infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life.
Our engineers help keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you are seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
Posting: Open Until Filled
Extra Help wiithout Benefits
General Description and Classification StandardsPerforms a wide variety of grounds maintenance services to maintain and enhance the beautification of the City of Atlanta. Duties may include, but are not limited to: garbage and recycling collection; cleaning, performing repairs, and other general maintenance; landscaping through the use of hand and power tools including saws, shovels, blowers, lawnmowers, etc. This is the entry level for this job family. Individuals entering this level must already possess the basic knowledge of the work and the required motor skills and physical capabilities to carry out basic tasks. Typically performs the simplest pertinent tasks, assists higher level workers in more complex jobs, Prepares or puts away tools. Supervision Received Works under general supervision, typically as part of a work crew with responsibility for completion of assigned tasks. Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Performs general lawn care, landscaping and maintenance for assigned areas; mows and trims grass, removes clippings, leaves, and debris from grounds area; prunes bushes and trees using hand and power tools including lawnmowers, saws, weed eaters, pruners, blowers, etc.; removes illegal signs from street signs, light and utility poles.
- Performs grounds maintenance; picks up litter, debris, bulk trash, etc.; sweeps, rakes and blows walkways, parking lots, natural lands and other public areas.
- Prepares and operates various types of equipment involved in street cleaning,
- Performs waste and recycling collection; collects waste and recycling material along established routes through residential streets and alleys, or through business and industrial areas.
- Maintains equipment and truck; cleans and inspects truck prior to beginning routes to ensure safe operating condition; inspects equipment; completes reports for defective equipment.
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience1 year of related experience. Preferred Education & Experience High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) and 2 years' of related experience. Licensures and Certifications Valid Georgia Drivers License desirable. Essential Capabilities and Work Environment Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Ability to safely get on/off heavy equipment.