Manager of Engineering Operations
Nippon Seiki is a world-class manufacturer of instruments for vehicles, agricultural, and construction equipment. Established in 1945, Nippon Seiki Co., Ltd. is headquartered in Japan, with numerous facilities worldwide. N.S. International, Ltd. ("NSI"), a group company of Nippon Seiki, located in Troy, MI, is a tier one supplier of instrument clusters and head-up display units for FCA US, General Motors, BMW, Honda, Harley Davidson, Suzuki, Polaris, Arctic Cat and other OEM's.
Purpose of Job
Key member of engineering leadership team ensuring flawless launches through robust product development. Creates and leads world-class team for engineering process development and quality assurance. Monitors engineering team’s product development performance and adherence to robust processes. Ensures product development processes are compliant to standards set forth in IATF16949, ASPICE, ISO26262, and other applicable standards and regulations. Maintains consistency across engineering teams in all asects of program planning, program development, launch, and other areas.
• Develops and leads a world-class engineering operations team responsible for engineering quality assurance and performance and efficiency improvements through highly-capable employees and effective and efficient processes.
• Guides Engineering team to strict adherence to product development processes leading to flawless launches.
• Leads audit teams with process adherence audits, software release assessments, and gate reviews and ensures high quality by driving engineering to close out nonconformances and to continuously improve audit scores.
• Creates mindset of continuous improvement and drives teams towards the identification of gaps, prioritizes improvements, creates robust solutions,and implements. Uses lessons learned and past failures to guide areas of improvement and ensures errors are not repeated.
• Studies key metrics to identify areas of needed improvement and work with teams to create and solutions.
• Manages and utilizes Dev Ops Pipeline for efficient product development and engineering work product quality assurance
Engineering and Engineering Business Process Continuous Improvement
• Ensures product development processes meet IATF, ASPICE / CMMI, ISO26262, and all other applicable standards and guidelines.
• Leads engineering teams to continuously improve and refine product development and engineering business processes.
• Ensures global aligment and consistency with processes and tools, optimzing locally for optimal performance.
• Guides engineering teams to select and implement product development tool chain suitable for company products and development processes.
Engineering Alignment and Consistency
• Acts a bridge between each engineering team (Software, Hardware, Systems, Mechanical) ensuring consistency with processes and tools, filling gaps, and removing redundancies.
• Creates consistency in global staffing by continuing to develop engineering contractor selection process, standard agreement language, and performance monitoring of outside labor partners.
• Participates in leadership meetings with suppliers to evaluate performance against agreements.
• Ensures consistency in implementation of global staffing strategy for Engineering by working with teams to identify core work, studying and selecting staffing strategies, and supporting implementation.
• Actively participates in and contributes to Engineering Leadership team in the continued journey towards world-class and flawless execution.
• Creates staffing plans for new programs for Engineering Operations.
• Completes and manages annual labor, expense, and Capex budgets for engineering operations team.
• Leads hour tracking activity ensuring all product development time is complete and accurate.
• Controls and manages tools access, budget and effective utilization across cross functional teams
• Provides leadership and mentoring to the Engineering Quality Assurance team, Software Quality Assurance team, Tools team and other team members.
• Provides supervision, guidance, leadership, and training to members within team.
• Monitors and evaluates performance.
• Trains team members on policies and procedures and create and maintain a set of current forms and approval procedures.
• Establishes goals, and KPI’s for team and conducts performance reviews and assesses performance against goals and KPI’s.
• Participates in recruitment activities and hiring of qualified department resources.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required; Electrical or Computer Engineering strongly preferred. Master’s in Quality Management a plus.
• 3+ years of product development engineering leadership experience preferably in a global tier one or tier two in the automotive industry.
• 5+ years experience in engineering quality assurance with a focus on software in an automotive tier one with products containing electronics and significant software content.
• In-depth understanding of product development and best-practices (e.g. DevOps) and standards and guidelines including IATF16949, ISO26262, ASPICE/CMMI, and cybersecurity required.
• Experience in analyzing engineering and engineering business processes and creating and implementing process improvements strongly preferred.
• Embedded software development experience a plus.
• Working knowledge of statistical quality controls and data analytics preferred.
• Instrument panel cluster, HUD, or similar product experience preferred.
• Bi-lingual preferred (English/Japanese).
• Proven analytical and problem-solving skills at both a strategic and functional level using 5 Why’s, Cause/Effect Diagrams, 8D, 5 Phase, etc.
• Good understanding of state-of-the-art tools implementation for Engineering product development including Software Quality Assurance with emphasis on Work Product Audits using Key Performance Indicators and ASPICE Process Audits
• Experience in Dev Ops tool chain like Jenkins, Squore, GitHub, JIRA preferred.
• Experience in working in global environment and with outside contractors preferred.
• Technical capability enabling close attention to design details and is committed to achieving design quality standards as set in design project goals.
• Proven ability to prioritize, and manage multiple projects, and meet tight deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) to work effectively with multi-cultural teams and executive level staff as well as external customers.
• Good listening skills, ability to build relationships, and flexible approach working with peers across diverse background.
• Understanding of and believing in Company’s mission, values and job duties and responsibilities, necessary technical skills, and seeks training to keep knowledge current.
Special Training or Competency:
• Technical Leadership: Includes being the subject matter expert in this field. Ability to motivate the organization, enforce product technical excellence and sponsor innovation among the team.
Work HoursMonday-Friday, 8 am – 5pm. Off-hours as needed.Travel Requirements
10% international and/or domestic.
If domestic travel is necessary, valid drivers’ license is required.
If international travel is necessary, valid passport is required.Additional InformationNA
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
N.S. International, Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.