Cross Functional Store Manager
Under limited supervision by the Location General Manager (LGM), the position is responsible for leading and developing a team of 10-15 cross functional associates to deliver a world class selling experience to CarMax customers. This manager stays actively involved in the sales process and creates a culture of learning by driving training to support the CarMax sales process. The manager will oversee a broad spectrum of store operating processes and procedures in an effort to exceed sales goals and achieve effective execution of CarMax policies.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategizes to achieve store’s budgets and performance metrics based on corporate business assumptions and LGM prescribed guidelines
- Proactively plans for the daily business based on volume and staffing. Executes plans to ensure associates have the tools and training required to deliver a simple and seamless process to the customer tailored to their needs
- Analyzes and presents store business results and reports them to the Location General Manager and supporting business managers as needed
- Actively monitors and adjusts staffing levels based on business needs and staffing model
- Opens and closes the store per schedule. Provides management coverage for the entire store
- Responsible for managing all aspects of key CarMax Business areas and operating procedures through execution of Area of Responsibility (AOR) duties, leading cross functional teams and problem solving opportunities
- Manages positive associate relations and associate development and role models successful behaviors to drive performance through timely and effective feedback including, but not limited to: Individual meetings, file reviews, performance management, and the Annual Performance Review (APR) process
- Resolves associate issues in a timely manner and takes appropriate partners
- Interviews, hires, trains and promotes associates to support store operations and company growth
- Leads training and development activities across business areas, including sales, service operations, merchandising and business operations, to positively impact the customer experience, maximize execution and minimize risk
- Partners with and develops associates to resolve customer issues
- Obtains and responds to customer feedback by directly interacting with customers, internal staff, written surveys as needed
- Partners with appropriate departments and regional team members as needed
- Ensures team adheres to asset protection and risk management processes and procedures. Researches and approves transactions that are identified as exceptions to normal business conditions
- Executes AOR responsibilities according to company guidelines and checklists
- Manages cash and other payment procedures and paperwork processes associated with the sale, wholesale, service and purchase of vehicles
- Identifies and raises awareness of opportunities to reduce waste; analyzes and identifies process improvements
- Adheres to all CarMax policies and procedures including, but not limited to risk management, loss prevention, standards of professional appearance and proper recording of time
- Performs duties and tasks while reporting to the Location General Manager § Displays financial responsibility through P&L management
- Uses all CarMax software and media effectively
- Complies with all local, state and federal regulations
- Must possess a valid driver's license that meets the CarMax Driver Safety Points Evaluation System criteria, as explained in the CarMax Driver Safety Policy.
Work requires ability to:
- Partner with others when facing complex problems
- Prioritize competing responsibilities appropriately
- Multi-task, organize work and manage time well
- Model and encourage exceptional team behaviors
- Speak, listen and write effectively in dealing with associates and customers
- Ability to make independent judgments regarding critical business decisions
- Complete CarMax provided training as required
- Indoor and outdoor environment; may include working at times in noisy and/or inclement weather conditions.
- Requires walking or standing for an extended periods of time.
- Wears CarMax clothing (acquired through company) at all times working in the store.
- Adhere to all CarMax policies including, but not limited to, Attendance, Proper Recording of Time, Asset Protection, EH&S (Environmental, Health & Safety), and Standards of Professional Appearance.
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.