Retail Assistant General Manager I
Goodwill Southern California (GSC) prepares and places thousands of individuals into sustainable employment through programs and services throughout Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. As one of the leading non-profit brands in the world, and the largest non-profit in Southern California, we have been transforming lives through the power of work for over 100 years. Goodwill Southern California supports its mission with proceeds generated from over 78 retail stores and over 44 attended donation centers, as well as from charitable donations and grants from the public and private sectors. Goodwill SoCal is a rapidly evolving organization and yet we have never been more focused – on our mission, on our people, and on our future. It’s always a GOOD day in SoCal!
Primary Responsibility / Summary
The Retail Assistant General Manager 1 is responsible for the efficient operation of a retail store. The Retail Assistant Manager, under the direction of the General Manager, leads store team to achieve established goals for sales, production, customer service, payroll, safety and expense control and closely collaborates with General Manager to achieve store standards and goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Ensures excellent service and team relations. Engages with ambassadors, customers and donors, while presenting a friendly and cooperative attitude. Under direction of General Manager, provides appropriate training as needed.
2. Leads team to maintain a clean and safe environment by ensuring company safety standards are met, social distancing procedures and personal protective equipment policies are followed.
3. Under the guidance of the General Manager, achieves financial objectives by monitoring weekly budget; analyzing variances; and initiating corrective actions.
4. Leads and ensures donated goods are received using the tablet, processed timely and meet company standards of quantity and quality goals.
5. Supervisory responsibilities include; assisting in interviewing, and training ambassadors; planning, assigning, scheduling and directing work; providing input on performance appraisals; recognizing, developing ambassadors; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Follows up on all assigned projects. Gives corrective feedback under direction of General Manager.
6. Follows proper auditing procedures, customer relations, regulatory compliance and reporting.
7. Reviews merchandizing needs on a daily basis, leads team to achieve daily production goals to support daily sales goals and upcoming promotions.
8. Ensures store asset control and security policies and procedures are enforced.
9. Monitors and maintains salesfloor, production area, structural, electrical, store equipment, landscaping, housekeeping, loss prevention and safety to company standards.
10. Attends meetings and training as required. If required to drive for a work event, you should have a valid CDL and required auto insurance.
11. Work flexible shifts; including nights, weekends, holidays and overtime when needed.
12. May be required to work at a near by location
13. This job supervises 5-15 ambassadors when acting as Manager-on-duty.
Education & Experience
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred.
• Min 2 year of retail store experience required.
• Good communication and people skills.
• Demonstrated maturity and leadership skills in leading entry-level ambassadors.
• Abilities to work with minimal supervision; self-starter is a plus.
• Excellent customer relations skills.
• Must be proficient in using personal computers and other technology necessary to complete the activities assigned.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Outlook, completing surveys using electronic platforms in order to complete daily tasks.
• Ability to handle confidential information.
• Punctual and dependable attendance.
• Free from alcohol and drug abuse.
• Understands the basic philosophy of Goodwill and participates fully in carrying out its mission.
• Adheres to Goodwill’s values of Respect, Integrity, Service, & Excellence.
Goodwill is an equal opportunity employer and will provide reasonable accommodations for job duties in accordance with Federal and State Law
Goodwill Industries in Southern California is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Goodwill gives preferential consideration to persons with barriers to employment. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Goodwill is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees.
Employment decisions will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Employment Act of 1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Immigration and Nationality Act, and any other characteristic protected by federal or state law.
Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disabilities
In furtherance of our commitment to end discrimination against qualified disabled individuals, and in accordance with the provisions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and all regulations properly issued thereunder to protect the rights of qualified disabled persons, it is Goodwill's policy that no program or activity administered by it shall exclude from participation, deny benefits to or subject to discrimination any individual solely by reason of his or her disability. Equal employment opportunity will be extended to qualified disabled persons in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including recruitment, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, layoff, recall and termination. We further affirm that we will provide reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified disabled employee or applicant.
It is the policy of Goodwill to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need assistance for accommodations to interview because of a disability, please notify the Human Resources Department.
Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a disability.
- Job Family Retail
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $16.25