Senior Industrial Engineer
This position can also be located in Bakersfield or Riverside CA.
Founded in Roanoke, VA in 1932, Advance Auto Parts is a leading automotive aftermarket parts provider that serves both professional installer and do-it-yourself customers. Our family of companies operate more than 5,100 stores across the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands under four brands, Advance Auto Parts, CARQUEST Auto Parts, WORLDPAC and Autopart International.
Advance Auto Parts has an immediate need for a Senior Industrial Engineer to support Supply Chain initiatives such as Labor Management, Lean Six Sigma, and Standardization. In this role, you will employ traditional industrial engineering skills, combined with a strong focus on project management and continuous improvement, to transform our network of 40+ distribution centers. The successful candidate will partner directly with all levels of leadership to identify and drive changes in a growing organization!
This position is directly responsible for:
- Travel up to 75%
- Maintain processes through creating and revising Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Ensure the identification of process changes and own consistency between actual processes and documented SOPs
- Support locations with labor management and pay for performance issues, enhancements and maintenance
- Assist in implementation of JDA Labor Management across the supply chain network focusing on proper measurement, system accuracy, project management, change management and process improvement
- Lead and perform the analysis, recommendation, and implementation of enhancements to existing work methods, flows, and processes to increase throughput
- Work with Inventory Control to maintain a high level of slotting health
- With the direction of SC support team, identify and implement distribution and storage process improvements that increase capacity, reduce cost and improve accuracy.
- Perform analysis and cost justification on capital project requests
- Support the maintenance and sustainment of JDA WLM configuration and application
- Project management, change management, identifying process gaps and best practices
- Lead and support cross functional projects and process improvement initiatives
- Enable process governance through education, change management, and proper escalation, as needed
- Demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills across all levels of the organization
- Providing remote and on-site process support for all distribution centers (4-7) within a territory
- Foster teamwork and a spirit of collaboration amongst the internal teams o Support business areas when obstacles are encountered and escalate when appropriate
Continuous Improvement Leadership
- Drive the development and implementation of Continuous Improvement projects
- Work with leaders to identify, modify, and sustain desired changes including reducing waste and improving inefficiencies.
- Mentor others to realize benefits from all continuous improvement initiatives and act as a change agent to the site/organization.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and prioritize improvement opportunities with the management team.
- Lead projects and initiatives from idea generation to strategic execution
- Act as a mentor for the Continuous Improvement leadership, supervisory staff and front-line Team Members
Required Qualifications for this position include:
- BS/BA Degree or Equivalent
- 5 to 10 years of relevant experience
- Excellent organizational skills in planning and organizing to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Must be a self-starter and work independently
- Thorough understanding of cycle time reduction, waste reduction, yield improvement, productivity and throughput improvement in a distribution or manufacturing environment.
- Experience guiding team progress for continuous improvement projects/programs.
- Advanced problem-solving capabilities, attention to detail and numerical aptitude
- MS Office Professional Series (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Experience in projects related to process design, work measurement, productivity improvement, cost reduction, Kaizen 5S, and project implementation required
- Ability and flexibility to travel during work week including US (Alaska included) and Canada
- Detail oriented with good math and statistical skills.
Preferred Qualifications include:
- 5 to 8 years of successful leadership in executing Continuous Improvement / Lean / Six Sigma efforts and/or supporting Labor Management programs/ PFP
- Proven experience handling multiple assignments and using strong prioritization skills
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration and communication skills
- Critical thinking and negotiation skills, ability to make recommendations that drive business growth and organizational efficiency
- Ability to effectively present information across all levels of the organization
- Ability to cultivate relationships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve business objectives
- Demonstrated experience with ensuring effective Change Management
- Work measurement methodologies and tools with an emphasis on MOST work measurement
- Hands-on experience using Operational Excellence and Continuous Improvement methods (LEAN, TPM, Six Sigma, TQM).
- Ability to coach and mentor others
- Comfort with ambiguity
The following certifications and experience considered “a plus!”
- JDA WLM experience, a plus (Implementation/configuration experience desired)
- MOST work measurement certification
- Lean Six Sigma certification
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
Advance Auto Parts (AAP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. Only applicants that are US Citizens or US Residents authorized to work in the United States will be considered. AAP is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.