MAINTENANCE AND CONSTRUCTION WORKER
In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations, an eligible list, which will be valid for a one-year period, and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period, is being established for this classification. Applicants on the eligible list will be certified in accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts.
Candidates may submit online employment applications using the NEOGOV online application system available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nccde .
EXAMINATION PROCESS : The examination process for this posting may include an evaluation of training and experience, a written examination, a computerized exam, an oral board interview examination, a performance examination or any combination of the above in order to qualify applicants for placement on the eligible list. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies that occur within the next year. The appropriate number of names on the eligible list as prescribed by Merit System Section 26.03.505 will be certified to the hiring department for consideration to fill the vacant position(s).
New employees are generally hired at the starting salary and may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation, up to the maximum salary.
New Castle County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs general unskilled and semi-skilled manual work; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class performs routine work consisting of unskilled and semi-skilled manual tasks. The duties require ability to do heavy physical labor efficiently. This employee works under the immediate supervision of a designated crew leader who lays out the details of each specific assignment and constantly checks the work in progress and upon completion. An employee in this class must express a willingness to learn and prepare for assignments of progressively increasing difficulty.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Performs pick and shovel work and lays pipe during construction and maintenance of sewer lines and helps install lateral sewer lines;
- Picks up garbage and refuse;
- Cleans gutters, culverts, catch basins, and other drainage structures;
- Loads and unloads stone, gravel, dirt, asphalt, timber, and heavy mechanical equipment;
- Rods out sewer lines and assists in dragging operations;
- Operates power lawn mower or riding mower and loads grass, leaves, and brush and cleans grounds;
- Pours concrete, fills pavement cracks with asphalt and shovels, and rakes asphalt paving mix in road repairs;
- Digs and back fills trenches;
- Boards up deserted houses;
- Moves furniture and equipment;
- Builds forms, makes braces, and performs other tasks in sewer construction or maintenance;
- Drives a truck, car, or van on a relief or intermittent basis;
- Oils and greases motorized equipment;
- Paints signs, does wood stripping, and performs other painting tasks requiring no special skill;
- Assists a skilled trades helper by carrying materials, tools, and equipment;
- Assists in planting and working ground around trees, shrubs, and flowers;
- Cleans and cuts back ditches;
- Performs a variety of other heavy manual work in connection with the maintenance and construction of sewers and parks;
- Installs trench bracing and shoring;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
- Operates a personal computer, and other related equipment in the course of the work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Some knowledge of or ability to learn a variety of maintenance and manual tasks; ability to lift heavy items; ability to understand simple oral instructions; willingness to perform heavy manual and sometimes routine work for an extended period under varying weather conditions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: This is an entry level classification which requires no prior experience or special training.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS: At least three months experience in performing manual labor tasks in the areas of construction labor, maintenance, or landscaping, or an equivalent combination of experience and training directly related to the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid Delaware Class D driver's license or its equivalent where the duties of the position include driving a vehicle. Ability to pass a Class II County physical examination and background check.