EQUIPMENT WORKER (Medium)- FMD
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED FROM: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
DIVISION/ SECTION: FACILITIES MANAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT
WORKDAYS & HOURS: MON-FRI; 6:30AM – 3:30PM*
*Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Parks and Recreation Department is dedicated to building a sustainable community and enhancing the quality of urban life by providing safe well-maintained parks and offering affordable programming for our community. To achieve this mission, HPARD is seeking an Equipment Worker (Medium) to join its Facilities Management and Development team.
Potential Candidate will play a key role in:
- Operates heavy equipment and operates trucks to transport equipment, refuse and/or materials to and from work sites.
- Performs a variety of manual tasks and activities, i.e. spraying, lawn care, moving furniture, roofing, painting, digging manholes, mowing, pouring concrete or asphalt, etc.
- Maintains, cleans and services equipment, vehicles, tools and facilities. Inspects vehicles for required supplies, materials and equipment.
- Observes and follows safety procedures and precautions at work-site.
- May investigate and respond to complaints.
- Prepares and maintains reports, forms and records.
- May act as a lead of a crew and coordinate and monitor work assignments and personnel
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- This position is designated among essential personnel under the City of Houston’s Emergency Management Policy.
The position requires stooping, bending and/or lifting of items of up to 80 pounds with occasional periods of walking on rough surfaces.
Ability to read, write, add, subtract and follow oral and/or basic written instructions as might normally be acquired through 9 to 11 years of formal schooling.
Six months of experience in the operation of plant or automotive equipment and attachments are required.
May require to have a valid Class A or B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) and comply with the City of Houston's policy on driving based on the type of equipment the individual is assigned to operate. Applicants with the following attributes are highly preferred:
- Class A CDL
- Applicants who can work Day, Evening, Night, Weekend, and Holiday Shifts are highly preferred.
- Applicants with experience using the following equipment are highly preferred:
- Backhoes, 12 yard Tractor, box blade,12 yard dump truck, asphalt roller, small grader, small rubber tire loader.
The selection process will involve application review and/or interview.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION YES
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification. The salary range is:
Salary Range - Pay Grade 13
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832.395.7127, 832.395.7108, 832.393.0453).
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832.395.7127, 832.395.7108, 832.393.0453), (TTY 7-1-1).
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.