Sr Product Development Engineer (3173)
THIS IS ITW: Since its founding more than 100 years ago, ITW has become one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables, and related service businesses. We place a high premium on the development of innovative solutions–most of which are developed in tandem with our customers. In addition, we continue to ensure that our customers receive timely, cost-effective service for the innovative products we provide.
ITW’s differentiated business model is comprised of a set of unique core capabilities: our proprietary 80/20 business process, customer-focused innovation, and our well-known decentralized entrepreneurial culture. While we own many global businesses, these capabilities are unmistakably ITW—and key to our longevity and strong performance
ITW’s products and solutions are at work all over the world, in deep-sea oil rigs, aerospace technology, bridges and wind turbines, healthcare, the spaces in which we live and work, the cars we drive, and the mobile devices we rely on. We are never, whether we know it or not, more than a few steps from an innovative ITW solution.
Today, ITW (NYSE: ITW) is a Fortune 500 company that employs nearly 48,000 people, and is headquartered in Glenview, Illinois, USA with operations in 57 countries.
POSITION SUMMARY: The ITW Residential & Renovation Product Development team is responsible for creating new innovative products and maintaining existing fastening solutions for the professional construction contractors under industry leading brands like GRK, Tapcon, Paslode, and Teks. Reporting to the Engineering Director you will be responsible for managing NPD projects from Discovery to Deployment utilizing ITW’s Innovation Framework with oversight for the mechanical design, timeline management, cross-functional communication, and resource management.
Position Location: Glenview, IL
- Design and development of new and innovative mechanical anchors utilizing a combination of analytical tools, evaluation methods, and practical experience to achieve project objectives (product performance, manufacturability, cost, quality, timing).
- Develop solutions and determine feasibility/risk assessments through practical and analytical methods (rapid prototyping, tolerance stack ups, design studies, FEA, DFMEA, root cause analysis, Design of Experiments, test plans, lessons learned, etc).
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering to develop processes and tooling necessary to manufacture new products.
- Work with cross functional team to understand customer’s needs and translate to engineering requirements
- Understand and communicate industry trends through technology landscaping and product benchmarking in support of establishing an NPD/Innovation pipeline.
- Support continuous improvement activities to enhance current products’ performance, quality, manufacturability, and cost.
- Provide project leadership and communicate status to a broad range of constituents via written and verbal communication
- Scope/define project and manage 3rd party resources with deep technical knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with minimum 8 years industry experience (Master’s preferred)
- History of developing mechanical anchors and screws with working knowledge of cold heading, thread rolling, heat treatment, plating and coating various grades of carbon and stainless steels
- Advanced knowledge of Metallurgy and strength of materials with knowledge of the effects of metallurgical properties on product performance.
- Demonstrated Solid Modeling experience – SolidWorks preferred
- Excellent project management capabilities
- Applied statistics
- Entrepreneurial mindset
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAITS:
- Experience with testing for and obtaining construction industry code approvals (ICC-ES, UL, FM, etc)
- Familiarity with laboratory equipment for tensile, shear, and corrosion
- Broad technical knowledge of Mechanical Design, FEA, and materials
- Knowledge of mechanical connections of wood structural members and structures
- Proven track record of technical project and team leadership
- Intellectually curious with a driving interest in new technology
- Understanding of development processes and methodologies
ITW is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the online application system process due to your disability, please click corp_accessibility@ itw.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.