The Payroll Associate will process weekly multi-state payroll, which includes, but is not limited to timesheet collection, earnings, deductions, tax withholdings, direct deposit, PTO, garnishments, allowances, severance payments, hourly expense reimbursement, validation and reconciliation for approximately 1,200 employees. The Payroll Associate will comply with the policies/procedures of HITT Contracting, affiliated unions, federal, state and other regulatory agencies; as well as individual project requirements. Liaison with Ceridian Tax Service (CTS) responsible for payroll tax reconciliation, registration, and compliance. They will provide support to the Corporate Accounting department for general ledger activity and payroll account reconciliations and will ensure confidentiality and security of payroll records and administration.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Timely and accurate processing of weekly multi-state payroll using Ceridian Dayforce and interfacing with JD Edwards (accounting system).
- Weekly payroll audits including but not limited to timesheets, labor expense, posting/billing rates, and the general ledger interface.
- Additional activities include void and reissue transactions, labor corrections, and certified payroll transactions.
- Responsible for calculating any out-of-cycle payments and completing the manual check process.
- Prepare and process monthly reports and remittance of union dues and fringe benefits, and maintain and update union rates, in compliance with the negotiated collective bargaining agreements.
- Maintain all employee profile information in Ceridian including new hire setup, terminations, and employee changes.
- Assist new hires with new employee setup in Ceridian as well as additional training and self-service for employees.
- Correspond with outside agencies regarding employment inquiries and verifications for current and past employees.
- Reconciliation of employee payroll taxes, tax setup, and payroll tax returns; weekly, quarterly, and annually for all jurisdictions (federal, state, local).
- Interface with Ceridian Tax Service (CTS) regarding tax inquiries, discrepancies, and registration process for new localities.
- Responsible for filing tax returns and payroll reports not filed by CTS. Receive, review, and act on all payroll tax correspondence.
- Perform any necessary payroll tax adjustments in Ceridian.
- Collect, review, maintain and audit I-9 forms; including E-Verify compliance.
- Certified payroll maintenance and reporting.
- EEO-1 and VETS reporting.
- Payroll year end process to include validation and distribution of W-2s.
- Responsible for payroll/GL account reconciliations and payroll related journal entries.
- Assist the general ledger group with accounting tasks as needed; research and help resolve any discrepancies in payroll information and/or documentation.
- Performs as an integral team member across all areas of the HR team and offers support as needed.
- Acts as a resource to our employees and assists them with their inquiries and issues.
- Maintains high ethical standards in reporting and confidentiality of data. Other duties as assigned.
- 2-3 years' multi-state payroll processing, payroll administration, and payroll tax experience
- Union payroll experience preferred
- CPP a plus
- Basic knowledge of general ledger accounting
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices, and a strong understanding of labor laws (FLSA, etc.) and tax regulations (FICA, etc.) related to payroll administration.
- Must be detail oriented, possess strong analytical and mathematical skills, and be proficient in Excel
- HRIS and/or payroll management software experience required, Ceridian Dayforce experience a plus
- Ability to troubleshoot software/system issues, submit support requests when necessary, and follow through to resolution
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations
- Reliable and able and willing to work under pressure in a deadline driven environment
HITT Contracting Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.