Director, Jobs - State Offices
Best Buddies International is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, leadership development, and inclusive living for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
Best Buddies is the world’s largest organization dedicated to ending the social, physical and economic isolation of the 200 million people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Our programs empower the special abilities of people with IDD by helping them form meaningful friendships with their peers, secure successful jobs, live independently, improve public speaking, self-advocacy, and communication skills, and feel valued by society.
Job Title: Director, Jobs
Department: State Programs and Operations
Reports to: State Director
# of direct reports: varies
Position Overview: The director, jobs is responsible for overseeing the statewide jobs program. They will work with the state leadership team to hire and manage the jobs staff team. The director is responsible for creating awareness of the jobs program statewide including: leveraging current business relationships across regions, actively seeking and cultivating new employment partners, working with areas on expansion opportunities and developing the program statewide.
- Bachelor’s degree or minimum 4 years relevant experience
- Strong project/time management skills - including planning, analysis, attention to detail, problem solving, and ability to effectively multitask
- Strong presentation, facilitation, and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, and basic understanding of accounting principals
- Initiative, dependability, drive for results, and self-assessment skills
- Must be adaptable and able to quickly and effectively develop and balance multiple relationships, and get results from a variety of people
- Ability to effectively gain information and insight through questioning/probing and observation of staff in the field, analyze information, and compile reports
- Must be comfortable engaging with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) and working with them in a supporting role
- Must be comfortable with frequent travel throughout the state, use personal cell phone, and work evenings and weekends as necessary in order to accomplish job responsibilities
- Strong initiative, drive for results, and self-assessment skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Access to an automobile with applicable insurance
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
Develops relationships with parents, communities, schools, government and other agencies to educate them about Best Buddies Jobs, identify potential participants and obtain participant referrals
- Oversees job development for unemployed participants, including new and current employer relationships; effectively assesses employers’ needs and works with team to create positions that are valuable to their enterprise and in alignment with participant’s goals and support needs
- Works with Jobs team to ensure communication with employers/supervisors and advocates for participants' rights to equal treatment and pay from employers while also encouraging self-advocacy and maintaining positive employer-employee relations.
- Makes sound decisions about participants' welfare on the job site, and follows all established health and safety guidelines to ensure the health and safety of all participants
- Maintains positive relationships with families, support coordinators, and referral sources
- Attends trainings as needed to maintain required certifications per state regulating agency
Marketing and Fund Development
- Creates a strong presence for Best Buddies Jobs in the state through public speaking, community involvement, public service announcements, special events, and other media initiatives as well as provides content for monthly social media initiatives
- Oversee deliverables for private funding sources, including grants, and stewards relationships with existing funders
- Oversee annual Jobs reception and any other special Jobs-related events as needed
- Provide information regarding potential donors/supporters to supervisor(s) as appropriate
Human Resources & Administration
- Manages recruitment, screening, hiring, training and ongoing management for all Jobs staff as needed in accordance with Best Buddies guidelines; approves all reports and conducts staff evaluations
- Works with all direct reports to set realistic and strategic goals, holds staff accountable for meeting these goals/plans, and develops performance/behavior improvement plans as needed; provides ongoing training and professional development opportunities as needed
- Oversees and ensures staff team is managing contractual agreements including trainings, file management, and timeliness of billing and audits
- Oversee staff team to ensure all financials in the Jobs program are completed including: ensuring that all required billing is completed accurately and in a timely manner; tracking of all billing submitted, received and denied; tracking the authorizations for each participant; tracking of all internal accounts payable and accounts receivable transactions; and utilizes Raiser’s Edge to track Jobs revenue and update proposal deliverables
- Provides accountability for all Jobs staff regarding maintenance of organized filing system for all relevant paperwork and the use of databases effectively and appropriately to manage Jobs contacts
- Maintains communication with State Director with timely reports, quarterly goals, and other information as directed ensuring that annual budget and financial goals are met.
- Collaborates with State Director to ensure all daily infrastructure needs are met, including supplies, postage, IT, telecommunications, equipment and utilities
Best Buddies® is an affirmative action employer, in addition to an EOE and M/F/V/PWD/PV employer. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are foundational to Best Buddies International’s core values and help the organization continue to achieve its mission. Here at Best Buddies, our goal is to lead and advocate for a more inclusive world.
Best Buddies offers a comprehensive and generous benefits programs that include financial security, health and wellness and time off.